Well, a lot has happened since the last post, and once I find my camera again, I'll post some pictures.

After Graham brought in the engine lift, we made swift progress getting the gasoline engine out of the Porsche. We had to squeeze the engine a bit to pull it out of the top of the engine bay, but it was a lot easier than removing a ton more parts to drop it out of the bottom like our instruction manual told us. There was a small issue with one bolt with no space to get at it, as well as stirring up a huge cloud of fiberglass fluff, but eventually we succeeded.

That same weekend we sold the engine, along with all of the other accessories we had pulled out and had no use for, to Brent at Hunter Motorsports in Mississauga. 

There were a few more things to remove once that the engine was gone, including all of the fuel lines, coolant hoses, heater core and some extra wiring. I ended up pulling out the entire dashboard to get at the heater core, which may not have been a great idea. The plastic parts of the dash were so old that I ended up breaking just about everything. It'll take a bit more custom work to build in a new dash, but I wasn't impressed with the look of the old dash anyway. Plus taking out the heater core removed a good bit of weight and freed up a huge amount of cabin space. 

We then began the journey of putting everything back together again and starting the new build work. The transmission was the first part to go back in. It went back fairly easily, although we had to clean and repack one of the CV joints which had fallen apart when we removed it from the transaxle. 

We also started a more thorough design of the new system and finalized all of the components that we needed. We split the car into three systems; battery, motor, and integration. Graham took on the battery system and ordered a set of Thundersky LiFePO4 batteries from EVComponents in California (who ships directly from China). The pack is a set of 50 100Ahr batteries, which will give us a system voltage around 160-180V. This pack should give us an easy 300A continuous current, with more for quick starts when we want it. 

We also sent in our order to Darius at ElectroCraft Systems in Toronto for the main controller, battery charger, throttle box, and 12V cross charger. Darius is making us a systems using a new board design and higher amperage components - I think it's his third controller version. It looks like it will be a great set of components. 

I also set up an order through EVSource from California for all of the extra components that we need, like the main contactor, fuses, disconnect, speed sensor, ceramic heater, and some other miscellaneous bits. These parts may ship before Christmas, but everything else will arrive mid-January. That doesn't leave us with a whole lot of time to prepare everything for their arrival. 

I also went to my firs EV Society meeting last Thursday, which was great. There are a lot of people out there interested in EVs. I met a fellow who might be interested in machining the clutch adapter that I need, and maybe even fabricating some motor mounts and a battery box as well. For a project as complex as this, having the right connections is crucial.

I've also done a little bit of planning for the headlight relocation work, which I think will give a nice modern look to the car. I already sold the headlight motor, so I have some extra incentive to get the light relocated properly. I even bought some fiberglass components, and with a bit of practice, we should be able to make some excellent and lightweight replacement parts. Every pound shaved off the car will make a big difference in mileage and acceleration. 

Ok, that's pretty much everything up until now. Some photos should be posted soon.